What is Shockwave Therapy, and Which Conditions Does It Help With?
- Chiropractic care
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Spine adjustment
December 20 , 2021
Shockwave therapy, also known as Extracorporeal Therapy (ESWT), was first introduced into medical practice in the year 1982 for the treatment and management of urological conditions. Over the past decade, the technology evolved and is now applied to various musculoskeletal conditions.
How does it work?
Shockwave therapy is an integrative device used in urology, orthopedics, sports medicine, and physiotherapy. It is a non-invasive therapy that comprises a series of low-energy acoustic wave pulsations applied directly to a wound through the patient’s skin using a gel medium. These kinds of shockwaves have been proven to be successful in several medical studies. It is considered an ideal therapy to speed up the process of recovery and cure many causes of acute and chronic pain.
Shockwave therapy is suitable for those with chronic tendinopathy pain in several body areas that have not responded to other treatments. Some commonly treated conditions include rotator cuff, jumper’s knee, rectus femoris, distal quadriceps, painful shoulder, tennis elbow, etc. These could happen due to a sport or repetitive strain.
On your first visit, you will be evaluated to verify whether you are suitable for shockwave therapy or not. Your healthcare provider will ensure that you understand your condition and what you can and cannot do after the treatment. The target area will be located using palpation, and gel will be applied to the area.
Your healthcare provider will then apply a little pressure and move the device over the affected area for treatment. This encourages more blood flow and allows for faster healing without any other pain medication. This is generally done once a week for 3-6 weeks, depending on the results. Although the treatment can cause a little discomfort, it only lasts for 2-4 hours, and the intensity of the shockwave can be adjusted according to your comfort level.
After the treatment, you may experience swelling, soreness, and tenderness temporarily for a few days as the shockwaves trigger inflammatory responses. However, you should understand that this is your body’s way of healing itself naturally. Therefore, it’s important not to take any anti-inflammatory medication after the treatment as it may slow down the healing process.
Following are some of the conditions that can be treated effectively:
● Painful shoulder
● Tennis elbow
● Golfer’s elbow
● Heel spurs
● Achilles’ tendonitis
● Jumper’s knee
● Medial tibial stress syndrome
● Chronic tendinopathy
● Chronic and acute muscular pain in lumbar and cervical spine regions
The waves easily penetrate the skin and radiate through the affected muscle, tendon, or joint as a shockwave. These shockwaves stimulate blood flow to the affected area and cause a minimum inflammation in the targeted area.
Benefits of shockwave therapy
● It accelerates the production of collagen that allows the tendon fibers to become stiffer and denser, which creates a firmer structure.
● The occurrence of reversed chronic inflammation as mast cell activity increases. These cells play a prominent role in defense against pathogens and the healing of wounds.
● The treatment breaks down the calcium build-ups. The body’s lymphatic system eliminates the grainy fragments of the build-up in the areas where the micro-tears and other trauma to tendons are present.
● The substance P levels are lowered, and the pain is decreased when the neurotransmitter sends pain messages to the central nervous system and hinders the creation of inflammatory edema.
● Formation of new blood vessels that improves the supply of blood, oxygenation of the treated area, and process of healing.
Are you suffering from chronic conditions and looking for the “shockwave therapy near me” or “best chiropractor in Denver”?
At Little Mountain Chiropractic and Wellness and Carolina Stemwave, we can provide you with medical services of high-quality and personalized chiropractic care while making sure that all your needs are fulfilled. Contact our team to book an appointment now.